Monday, June 22, 2009

The Twisted Year Comes to An End

I have never been more thankful to see a week finally arrive on my calendar.



Roo and I have really had a twisted school year and well I am thankful. Why? The year from hell is over.



In September we were faced with a sudden move to Nova Scotia, a quick apartment hunt, and I was stupid and didn't do due diligence when placing Roo in a school. She ended up in the school from hell. From the beginning the year was more then twisted.



When I placed my daughter who has an established learning disability in the school nothing was really done but adapt the program a bit to give her support. She struggled all year, thank God, I am smart and supplemented her learning here at home.



When I asked for an IEP, they decided not to put her on one, they said she was too smart.



When I asked for help after she started getting bullied, I was met with a wall. I was faced with a principal in denial. Roo was regularly tormented by school yard thugs who I hate to say this but have parents that don't give a damn. She ended up in the emergency room on more then one occasion because of the school yard antics of other children. As I talked to other parents ( and I tend to do that) I found out that Roo was not the only child facing this nightmare. Others were as well.



I called the school board. They referred it back to the principal. I felt like I was running in circles. I called the trustee, who was polite but really didn't say or do much. I then called the police and they wanted to get into the school to talk to the class ( we had a class of grade 6ers that well were the cause of 90% of the problems), again they got stonewalled by the principal.



I even got assaulted about a month ago by a mom of one of the bullies after her daughter lied to her and said I had grabbed her( truth is I have never grabbed a child- and had had no contact with said child on the day in question). My daughter witnessed that assault. There are now police charges over that one.



This really has been the twisted year. I pray Roo can recover from it. I pray she can flourish as she will move to a new school in September.



Today as her class had their end of the year field trip, I looked around at the kids and the teacher ( who was the only saving grace- she had a decent teacher) and could not help but let out a sigh of relief as the year is coming to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment